Management sciences in industria
 
Category: Management sciences in industria
TIME HORIZONS • Infinite Time Horizon – Assumes the process has and will continue “forever” • Single Period Models – Ordering for a one-time occurence
1238 days ago
 
• Connects multiple networks (departments) within a campus network environment (one or more buildings). • Includes campus backbone network, based on FDDI, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, or ATM.
1238 days ago
 
In this Section, we describe the supply chain network design model. We assume that the firm is considering its possible supply chain economic activities, associated with its product, which are represented by a network.
1238 days ago
 
An organization cannot be successful unless it has a full understanding of the other players in marketplace. A company must be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the competition and analyze the ways in which the competition’s products or services meet the needs of its customer base.
1238 days ago
 
Standards used to measure performance are detailed expressions of strategic objectives. They are measures of acceptable performance results. Each standard can be usually includes a tolerance range, which defines any acceptable deviations. Standards can be set not only for final output, but also for intermediate stages of production output.
1238 days ago
 
This subsection considers the five types of structure commonly used by firms: functional structure, product structure, regional structure, matrix structure, and mixed structure. Since some German firms have established three dimensional structures, we will extend the spectrum to a sixth structure, the tensor structure.
1238 days ago
 
Study of the functions and responsibilities of general managers; of problems that affect the success of the total enterprise and the decisions that determine the direction of the organization and shape its future.
1238 days ago
 
The literature indicates that three key aspects of a firm’s brand portfolio strategy are (1) scope, which pertains to the number of brands the firm owns and markets and the number of market segments in which it competes with these brands; (2) competition, which pertains to the extent to which brands within the firm’s portfolio compete with one another by being positioned similarly and appealing to the same consumers.
1238 days ago
 
 Policies set boundaries, constraints, and limits on the kinds of administrative actions that can be taken to reward and sanction behavior
1238 days ago
 
One of the first steps in developing an overall marketing strategy is to perform a market segmentation analysis, as a way to manage the strategy development process and ensure its effectiveness and success. The concept behind market segmentation is intuitive and relatively simple. Market segmentation is simply taking a look at the overall market for your product and service and thinking of it in terms of smaller, more manageable pieces.
1238 days ago
 
• “Limited usefulness for the study of growth management since they are built on the deterministic assumption that all firms grow linearly through a predictable series of preordained stages” (Merz et al, 1994). • Empirical studies confirmed that growth stages not discrete and highly specific • Stages are fluid and non-sequential, with developmental problems often overlapping between different stages
1238 days ago
 
To maintain reliability, the system operator must continuously balance generation and load, maintain acceptable voltages throughout the system, and avoid overloading transmission lines and transformers. Transmission line flows cannot, in most cases, be controlled directly, so line loads must be controlled by placing lines in and out of service and by determining which generators are allowed/required to operate in response to changing load patterns.
1238 days ago
 
Implicit in the use of Markov models for storage system reliability analysis is the assumption that failure and repair rates follow an exponential distribution and are constant. The exponential distribution is a poor match to observed disk failure rates, latent sector error rates, and disk repairs.
1238 days ago
 
Maintainability deals with duration of maintenance outages or how long it takes to achieve (ease and speed) the maintenance actions compared to a datum. The datum includes maintenance (all actions necessary for retaining an item in, or restoring an item to, a specified, good condition) is performed by personnel having specified skill levels, using prescribed procedures and resources, at each prescribed level of maintenance.
1238 days ago
 
Reliability has gained increasing importance in the last few years in manufacturing organisations, the government and civilian communities. With recent concern about government spending, agencies are trying to purchase systems with higher reliability and lower maintenance costs. As consumers, we are mainly concerned with buying products that last longer and are cheaper to maintain, i.e., have higher reliability. The reasons for wanting high product or component or system reliability are obvious: • Higher customer satisfaction • Increased sales
1238 days ago
 
Reliability is the probability that a product will continue to work normally over a specified interval of time, under specified conditions. For example, the mouse on your computer might have a reliability of 0.990 (or 99%) over the next 1000 hours. It has a 99% chance of working normally during this time, which is obviously the same as saying it has a 1% chance of being faulty.
1238 days ago
 
Environment: Our study is based on events collected from 395 nodes in a machine room at the IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center that support a broad and diverse user community.
1238 days ago
 
The study of job satisfaction enriches management with a range of information pertaining to job, employee, environment etc. which facilitated it in decision making and correcting the path of organizational policies and behavior. It indicates the general level of satisfaction in the organization about its programmes, policies etc.
1238 days ago
 
Motivation is an important driver in an organization and is crucial to the management of intellectual capital. Motivation underlies what employees choose to do (quality and/or quantity), how much effort they will put into accomplishing the task, and how long they will work in order to accomplish it.
1238 days ago
 
Organizational behavior is the systematic study of human behavior, attitudes and performance within an organizational setting; drawing on theory methods and principles from such disciplines as psychology, sociology and cultural anthropology to learn about individual perceptions, values, learning capacities and actions while working in groups and careful application of knowledge about how people- as individuals and as groups- act within the total organization; analyzing the external environment’s effect on the organization and its human resources, missions, objectives and strategies.
1238 days ago
 
The human eye-brain system is arguably the most sophisticated computing system which we have access to. It can easily handle complex visual processing and pattern recognition tasks which would be impossible to attempt on even the most powerful supercomputer.
1238 days ago
 
Focuses on relationship between satisfaction and performance – Satisfaction is determined by the perceived equity of intrinsic and extrinsic rewards for performance – Performance eventually leads to satisfaction
1238 days ago
 
The leadership development challenges facing the provider of such services are significant: • Leaders are generally well educated and have been trained formally, frequently and variously on the many leadership competencies; • Leaders are busy and the demands on them are multi-faceted; • Leadership in the public sector is complex and leadership demands are immediate; • Leadership training must be timely and relevant.
1238 days ago
 
Organization as a purposeful system with several subsystems where individuals and activities are organized to achieve certain predetermined goals through division of labor and coordination of activities. Division of labor refers to how the work is divided among the employees and coordination refers to how all the various activities performed by the individuals are integrated or brought together to accomplish the goals of the organization. The term organizing is used to denote one aspect of the managerial activities when he or she is preparing and scheduling the different tasks that need to be completed for the job to be done.
1238 days ago
 
Today’s fast-moving, ever-changing manufacturing environment demands faster responsiveness to changes in the market, product innovation and supply chain events. In this environment, ignorance is one of the greatest threats to a manufacturing company’s health and success.
1238 days ago
 
1-25 of 403
Per page: